5 Tips to Having a Happy and Healthy Relationship
Just because you’re in a relationship doesn’t mean it’s a healthy one. Healthy relationships promote personal growth while negative relationships push you down. Here are 5 tips that can help you have a healthy relationship – the only kind worth having:
1. Don’t lose yourself. It’s easy to lose yourself when you’re in a relationship, especially if your partner is controlling. Be sure you think your own thoughts, not those of your partner. Stick to your own beliefs, not theirs. It is up to you to make sure you don’t turn into what your significant other wants you to be and lose your own identity in the process. Stay true to you!
2. Talk before you walk. Couples have the tendency to break up before they really talk problems out. Communication is a skill you learn best through experience and practice makes perfect. Don’t be afraid to express your feelings to your partner. If that can’t be done, you might as well throw in the towel anyway. Talk away rather than walk away!
3. Honesty is the best policy. Once you start fabricating the truth, even in the gray zones, the faker your relationship will become. Even if you tell a little fib here are there about small things, like how you feel about a given subject or if you are angry, it will come back to haunt you. True relationships are built on honesty so make sure you are doing your part to keep your relationship solid.
4. Be team players. If the two of you don’t pull together as a team, you’ll be divided. It’s easy to fall into being at odds with each other. You begin by bickering and arguing over small things and end up opponents. In order to have a good, healthy relationship, it’s imperative that you be united as a team. Work together as one and chances are good that you will stay together.
5. It’s all about respect. Everyone wants to be respected. It’s in our genes to desire others to honor our thoughts, feelings, and actions. Of course, we want the closest person to us to respect us. But, do we give respect in return? In order to get respect, you’ll need to give respect too. A relationship should be built on both getting and receiving respect in order to be a happy and healthy one.
No relationship will ever be perfect, no matter how hard to try to make it that way. But, no relationship will be worth much at all if isn’t built on the things above. When you are attentive to nurture your relationship with these key ingredients, you’ll find your relationship will flourish and blossom like never before.